Marwen’s College Programs offer students and families the knowledge, tools, and resources to understand college options and define educational goals. Our individual college counseling is for students and families. We help guide students to higher education or alternative options that are a strong fit and match for each student’s unique interests, goals, academic and personal achievements, and financial situation. Students interested in putting together a strong portfolio for high school, college admissions, and/or scholarship applications, can also meet with a Marwen counselor or enroll in portfolio development courses offered year-round. Marwen Families also have several opportunities to attend college workshops and events throughout the school year.
PROGRAMS AT A GLANCE:
Student & Family College Counseling
- Individual meetings and support on all topics related to the college process: researching schools, completing applications, writing essays, applying for financial aid, developing portfolios, and opportunities to address individual questions, concerns, and unique circumstances.
Student & Family College Preparation Workshops
- Student & Family Forums: College Options, The College Application Process, Essays and Artist Statements, and Financial Aid.
- ACT Test Prep Workshops: Opportunities to take the ACT practice test and learn test taking skills and strategies.
- Individual counseling focused on documenting artwork, presenting artwork, writing an artist statement, and building a body of artwork for high school or college admissions, and arts-based scholarships.
- Portfolio development classes and workshops to create observational and personally driven artwork
- Portfolio Review Workshop for students to have their artwork reviewed by Chicago artists, designers, creative professionals, and college admission representatives.
- Day trips to public and private 4-year colleges, universities, and art schools, located in-state and in the Midwest. Visits are organized during CPS Spring break and some school holidays.
- College Night: A public event for Chicago youth and families to meet college admission representatives from a wide variety of schools across the U.S.